Workers Compensation Board of Prince Edward Island


On Prince Edward Island, most industries are required by law to have coverage under the provincial compensation system.

As an employer, you are also responsible for confirming the contractors and subcontractors you hire have coverage, also known as clearance, with the WCB.

The Workers Compensation Act General Regulations describes the industries and employers that are not covered under the Act. If you are one of these employers, you may choose to be covered.
  • Employers in excluded industries can apply for Optional Coverage.
  • Proprietors and partners of a non-incorporated business, owners and directors of a corporation and independent operators can apply for Personal Coverage.

Optional Coverage

If you are an employer in an industry not covered by the Act, you can apply for Optional Coverage. Simply register with the WCB using WCB Online Services or submit an Employer Registration Form.

If you would like more information about Optional Coverage, please contact us.
(back to top)

Personal Coverage

Personal Coverage is voluntary, and as a proprietor or partner of a non-incorporated business, owner or director of a corporation or an independent operator, you may apply for coverage.

You can apply for Personal Coverage by completing a Personal Coverage Application. If you believe you are an independent operator, you must also complete an Independent Operator Checklist.

To find out if Personal Coverage is right for you, please review our Personal Coverage Frequently Asked Questions.

If you would like more information abour Personal Coverage, please contact us.
(back to top)

Clearances for Contractors and Subcontractors

As an employer, it is in your best interest to request a clearance letter from the WCB whenever you hire contractors or subcontractors who have workers. The clearance letter confirms that the contractor's account with the WCB is in good standing.

Clearance ensures that the employer is protected and that all employers carry their fair share of the cost of the compensation system. Without clearance, as an employer, you may be liable for your contractors or subcontractors assessments if they have not paid assessments for their workers.

Obtaining a clearance letter for your contractors and subcontractors can be done in two ways:
  • Electronically, any time and anywhere you have access to the Internet, with the WCB's Online Services.
  • By requesting clearance through WCB Employers Services. Simply contact us.
(back to top)

More information about coverage and clearance can be found in the Information for Employers booklet and in the WCB employer services policies.

If you have any questions, or would like a copy of a form or publication, please contact us.